Bunny & DrRalph,
in Abaco, June, 2005
Bunny and I left Daytona on Friday, June 17, on an afternoon flight on Vintage, arrived at MHH, and hired a cab. After stops at Solomon’s (groceries) and A&K (liquor), we unloaded at Harbour View Marina and picked up our rental boat at Blue Wave. After a nice ride across the Sea of Abaco, we tied up at Guana Seaside Village, offloaded the boat, and got cleaned up for a great meal.
"Mayor" Glenn Laing, Seaside's bartender and a great friend
Saturday we enjoyed the day on our Blue Wave Ocean Pro 24. This boat took great care of us; the weather was periodically squally, we got caught in a couple of bad ones, and the boat always brought us back to port, safe and sound. It has a nice deep vee to cushion the ride, a great layout, and the Evinrude Ficht 250 got an amazing 2.25 nmpg. Bunny and I both enjoyed running her.
We anchored up on the gorgeous beach on Guana’s NW extreme, then worked our way around the point and back east between the reef and the beach.
On the way back to Seaside we stopped to explore the old “playground” at Baker’s Bay.
Sunday was very squally; we stayed out for maybe 2 hours and got chased in by bad weather. We cleaned up and rode our Donna Sands golf cart up to Nipper’s, where the Sunday shenanigans were still in high gear.
Bunny somehow managed to get behind the bar and harrass Mikey
Monday the weather cleared; we ran the Don’t Rock Passage and anchored up at Treasure Cay Beach, and later at Gilliam’s Bay Beach on Green Turtle. Low tide made for great treasure hunting.
Tuesday, June 21, was moving day. We returned our cart to Donna, then paused to talk to our old pal Milo. Next stop was Eastern shore where we visited with Patty Toler (Madame Cruiser’s Net) and Barometer Bob. Then it was on the Lubber’s where we chatted with Cracker P’s proprietress Linda Stewart.
That afternoon we tied up at Seaspray Marina, welcomed by Dockmaster Junior, our oldest friend in Abaco. We unloaded the boat and carried our gear a short distance up the hill to our cottage, Villa Bonita. We loved Bonita: it had a soft king-sized bed, a full kitchen, nice dining and living areas, and a great view of the harbour. AND, when the power failed a few days later, our personal generator and a/c kept us cool. We especially liked the grill in the side yard; Bunny cooked three meals on it.
Wednesday we cruised down the Sea of Abaco toward Tilloo Bank. Bunny trolled me, and we were able to dive up several conch.
Thursday we visited Tahiti Beach, on the SE of Elbow Cay. What a perfect place to anchor up and enjoy the great colors and scenery!
Friday we anchored off of North Pelican Cay and enjoyed another great day.
Sunday we visited Turtle Hill Villas and their “On Da Beach” bar; we found a view to rival Nipper’s, great food, great drinks, and a wonderful ocean breeze.
We returned to Seaspray for some “last night” shenanigans at their “Garbonzo Reef Bar.”
Wally & Cathy, managers of Seaspray Resort.
Bunny & our pal Charlie
Bartenders Lorenz & Alfie
Bunny & DJ Brown Tip (he also runs a boat bottom cleaning business)
Monday, we packed up and ran back across the Sea of Abaco to Marsh Harbour where we returned our boat, shopped along East Bay Street, and finally caught our Vintage flight back to Daytona.

We did not bring our boat this year because she is being repowered, along with some other maintenance work. We look forward to bringing her back over next year.

Return to DrRalph on the 'Net Home Page